Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cravings.......

Most people my age have times in their live's when they crave something, when they really want something, they need it.  It's usually a drink, some form of tobacco, candy, usually, this just happens to be an unusual situation, I have cancer. 

I was told my nurses that some people have cravings after or during chemo, but I didnt really believe them, I thought I would be different, I wouldnt have everything that everyone else has, i'm not like everyone else, i'm different.  Ha, oh was I ever wrong.  Although my craving's didnt come right away, because, well, when i started my chemo I didnt crave anything but my bed and well, dilauded. 

After a week or so into my chemo, I still didnt crave many things, some may have thought that i craved Mcdonalds, but I didnt crave it, I had to eat, and I refused to eat the hospital food, I wouldnt even let them bring it into my room, no way, no thanks, stuff was garbage.  There just happen to be a Mcdonalds in the basement of the hospital so it was easy for somone to bring it to me, so thats what i'd eat.  I suppose you could say i had a craving for the orange drink from Mcdonalds, always had to have that with my meals.  I never used to drink it, but it's just so good. 

Two weeks went by and I started having these interesting feelings, some call them cravings, I didnt really think anything of it.  It started with gummy worms and bears, all of a sudden one day I told my mom to bring some up, just on a whim, and i would constantly eat them, then eventually people were starting to send them in the mail, and i had them all the time, i couldnt go without them, i needed them, they were like water to me, if i didnt have some, i was unhappy.  Along with the gummy's I also had a fond liking to Squirt soda and corn nuts.  It was unusual for me not to have a 12 pack of squirt stashed away in my closet somwhere.  I've always liked Squirt, my true love was Ruby Red Squirt, but that is so hard to find that i had to go to the next best thing.  There is somewhat of a reason that i wanted squirt, well, what i really wanted was anything other than the hospital water, it was also gross.  I dont know why it was gross, my mom said it was good, but what does she know,ha, (love you mom) but she's old school, of course she likes the water, she liked the food too.  There was just something about the water that didnt sit well with me, i just wouldnt drink it, so to have a craving for squirt was a heaven sent, i wasnt supposed to drink the water.  The corn nuts was something that was for sure a "craving".  I had never wanted corn nuts as much as i did once i was out of the hospital, yeah these cravings lasted longer than just my time spent in the hospital, every time i went to a gas station i would have to get ranch corn nuts, if they had them.  That was my snack of choice for sure.  Always had some with me. 

For some people craving's are just craving's, but I was glad i had these craving's.  Not only were they delicious but it was something for me to keep my mind off of what i was going through. 

I believe these were most of my craving's that i can remember, i'm sure there were more, but i cant think of them at the moment. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember all of the gummy bears and gummy worms in your room! Man...lots of gummy stuff in there!

    ReplyDelete