Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life bag...

Well I had been living at home for, well, far too long. I was sick of renting movies and sitting on the couch at my parents house, don’t get me wrong I love my parents and all, but there is only so much a guy can do living at home when all of his friends live in the cities and surrounding ‘burbs. As soon as I was well enough you could count on me not being at home. I usually spent the weekday’s at Becky’s in St. Paul and most of the weekend’s either once again at Becky’s or in Bloomington at a good buddy of mine, Matt, and his two roommates that I have grown close with, Matt, and Jason.


A typical week of mine went like this, Monday I would drive from my house in Northfield and head up to Augsburg to work out and talk baseball with my college coach and just hang out at campus for a couple hours, just mingling and having conversations with people that I hadn’t seen in awhile and got them up to speed how I was doing, and what was next for me and things like that, after that I usually drove to Bloomington to the Matt’s and Jason’s house. When I was there I would usually grill something for lunch and just hang out until they got home from work, we’d hang out watch some sporting event and then depending on what Becky was doing I would either, go over to her place and spend the night or I would mosey on home. This routine went on day after day, for weeks, it was the same thing all the time.

To be honest I didn’t mind doing this at all, routines were nice, and I was used to them, having to take pills and do this and do that, having doctors and nurses coming and talking to me at the same time, I was used to it all. This was clearly a routine that I enjoyed a lot more than being in the hospital, because it was a routine that I chose. Everything I did and when I did it, I chose, I got to choose what I did all day every day, that’s the just way it went.

Usually when I left on Monday morning I would pack my life back. A life bag consists of everything you need to survive away from home, I had enough clothes to last me seven days, a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, some extra cash, and my phone charger. All of life’s necessities. Without my life bag I would have been lost.

After a couple of months of packing a life bag it was time to find a permanent home. So I Matt, my best friend from high school, Josh another good friend from high school and Andy a great friend from Augsburg moved into a place in south Minneapolis.

Finally no more life bag.

With living on your own come your own bills, like rent, and food, although still to this day my mom buy’s my groceries, only because I can’t afford my own. With your own bills and other things, comes the stress of having money and have enough money to do the things that I wanted to do.

Once again I can’t work and once again I have the stress of not having any money, I’m hoping I’ll come out of this alright, but who knows, before you know it, it might be time again to move home and pack a life bag, but let’s hope not.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you had a 'life bag' like that you carried around. Stay positive! If you think about it you have had good luck with 'life bags'. The kind that you carried around so that you could have a life with your friends but also you have had good luck with the kind of 'life bag' that has given you new life! Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete